Wednesday 20 May 2015

Going Green – Plant a Tree Today!



By now you know I am just a layman. I am not an expert in anything but that does not stop me from poking my novice nose in any issue that is being discussed. I however have a background that gives me an ‘above-layman’ knowledge in some things. You see, I have parents who were not laymen like me. My mother was a teacher back in the day when teaching was an elite profession. My father worked as a forester and he almost made small foresters out of my siblings and me. From as early as when I was 10 years old, I could plant a tree. We always had tree seedlings around the home and were free to plant in any available space. Some of the trees I planted as a boy are now more than 100 feet tall.

I have grown up to love trees and have tried to plant one wherever I can find space. When I moved to Eldoret in 2010, I disliked the way my house was exposed and visible from the road. I therefore set out in 2011 to try and ‘hide’ my house. I planted some fast growing trees to form a barrier in front of my house. Today, 4 years later, my house is well shielded. I also like the cool atmosphere the trees bring to the compound.

The rains are here with us and this would be a good opportunity for you, my fellow laymen to plant a tree or two. The choices of what to plant are many and varied. The late Professor Wangari Maathai often advocated for indigenous trees. These are the species which grew natively in our country. Most of them are lush and ever-green. However, they grow very slowly and any you plant now might only benefit your children or grandchildren.

My father on the other hand, used to advise planting both indigenous and exotic trees together. Exotic trees are those brought in from other countries over the generations. These generally grow fast and many of them are ready for use in less than 10 years. As to be expected of any layman, I follow my father’s advice and mix them up.

My Indigenous Trees

Cedar
My father used to tell me that a cedar tree would take about 170 years to be ready to be cut down for timber. As can be seen from my 2 year old baby cedar, even my children will have to live to be very old to see it grow to full maturity.








African Olive
The African olive is not actually a tree, but a shrub. It is said to be medicinal and that is why I planted it. I hope to become an herbalist one day and am building my stock.








Muriga-Andu-Kikuyuensis
I do not actually know what this shrub is called. I was told the name when I was buying it but for the life of me, I can’t remember. The name above is the one my father would use when he couldn’t remember the name of a particular tree or shrub. It is a scholarly looking but cheeky way of getting away without saying the true name.






Podo
For an indigenous tree, the podo is relatively fast growing. I planted this one in 2011 and as you can see, it is remarkably tall.









My Exotic Trees

Pine
I find pines to be quite good looking. They grow very fast and produce good timber (Most plywood being produced in Kenya today is made from Pine). When they are fully grown, they are majestic looking and whistle sweetly when the wind blows through them (What is commonly referred to as Pine-Breeze).







Grevillea
The grevillea is probably the most common “all-round-use” tree. It can be used for firewood, timber, and even fodder for livestock from the leaves. It is also known not to interfere with the growth of crops and so makes a good wind-break in tea and coffee plantations.







Cypress
Cypress fences were common in Kenya when I was growing up. It was also the dominant wood for timber. I think it was greatly affected by the aphid infestation of the late 80s and early 90s. I find it so beautiful and grand.








Casuarina
I hear most people referring to it as the bottle brush. I don’t know how proper that is because what I knew to be the bottle brush is a totally different plant. Anyhow, it doesn’t matter what you call it; plant one today. It doesn’t grow to be very big. I think it is a cross between a tree and a shrub.







Umbrella Tree
This again, is just a common name whose authenticity I cannot guarantee. My doctor friend from Akala near Bondo says he cannot plant this one in his compound because it is known to bring death in the family. As far as the truth of this conviction is concerned, the jury is out there.







My Orchard
I have always become attached to the trees I plant and can’t bring myself to cut them down. I have therefore come up with a way of getting some immediate benefit from trees. I have planted some fruit trees. I prefer the grafted kind because they mature faster and give a bigger yield of fruit.

Pawpaw
I am already eating these and you can too, in less than 2 years.










Mangoes
These are still very short but they are already flowering. I expect to eat some mangoes in less than a year.










P.S. I have not planted blue gum trees because I believe they are not good for the environment. I however don’t exactly hate them. Their demand is high and they can make you very rich. It is better you plant a bad tree than no tree at all so; “Get out there and plant a tree today!”

No comments:

Post a Comment