Tuesday 7 July 2015

Luopean Union



So more than 60% of the Greek want out of the European Union? They would prefer to pass up on the bailout that will enable them to remain “Europeans”. I wonder what happened especially considering that the Greeks had one of the earliest and most advanced civilisations in the World.

Closer home, there is a union whose members are not willing to quit at any cost. They claim it is not a job that you can quit. Neither is it a tribe that you can denounce. It is a lifestyle. Others claim that it is a liability (gharama); meaning, it costs dearly to maintain it.

Membership to the Luopean Union
I am informed that there are only three ways through which one can join the union. It is either by birth, marriage, or assimilation. When I lived and worked in Kisumu, I tried to join the union through assimilation. My friend, Wahonya, who is a carpenter in Nyalenda, gave me the name Onyango. I have however come to realise that membership by assimilation rarely gives one the confidence inherent in those who are Luopeans by birth.

Pride
Perhaps one of the most noticeable traits of the Union Members is their pride. It is often confused with arrogance. I also used to think the same thing until I got to live in Union controlled territory. The pride expressed by these wonderful people is completely devoid of any arrogance. Instead, what is obvious is the gentleness and kindness that is found in all the members. They are proud of their heritage and talents.

Democracy
I once met with an old Luopean man who told me that democracy is built into the fibre of every Luopean. No decision is made at any level of the community without consultation. Every member grows up with the freedom to express him or herself. I guess this explains why there is a corner in every town and suburb in Kenya where Luopeans can meet and discuss current affairs. In these parliaments, every person gets an opportunity to speak.

Thirst for Knowledge
I used to have a friend in my village who was very bright in school. He passed quite well and made it into university. When he cleared university, I asked him if he would do his masters immediately seeing as he was very good with books. He was shocked that I could ask him such a question. He said, “I cannot add any extra education before I convert that which I already have into money.” His answer sums up the opinion of many Kenyans on education. It is different with Luopeans because they will acquire all the education they can as long as they can afford it irrespective of distractive money making opportunities.

Living Life to the Fullest
There was a man I knew and although he was not a Luopean by birth, he ascribed to the Luopean philosophy of living life to the fullest. He had a personal mantra that “Life is not a rehearsal, Enjoy it”. His lifestyle was of benefit to me because they are many amenities that I first got to know of from him. To Luopeans, luxury is a basic human need. They have taste and they have class. They make the most out of life and enjoy it to the maximum whatever the cost.

Language
I have said it before on this blog that the language of my community is not compatible with English. It is for that reason it has to be modified to fit with English. The Language of the Union however is in the same league with English. The sounds are the same, as are the intonations. I used to think the English language was derived from Luopean, but a friendly linguist burst my bubble. He told me that Luopean is younger than English (Whatever that means). If you ask me, Luopean is a superior language to English. It is no wonder many members of the union speak impeccable English being as it is, a ‘lower language’.

Destined for Greatness
Luopeans stand out in whatever they do. This is irrespective of whether it is in politics, sports, or academia. Their achievements are so engraved in various fields that it is impossible to ignore them. If you think am lying, try to talk of Kenyan football without mentioning Gor Mahia or politics without mentioning Raila. Tell me that you can visualise Holly Wood without Lupita or the White House without Obama.

2 comments: