Friday 20 May 2016

Caveat Emptor


When I was in primary school, we used to be given milk by the government. It was popularly referred to as “maziwa ya nyayo” (meaning Nyayo’s milk). This was in honour of Former President Moi (who introduced the milk). He was code-named Nyayo which is Swahili for footprints because he had claimed to be following the footsteps of Kenya’s first President Jomo Kenyatta.

The milk of choice for the government was UHT (ultra-heat treated) since it was long lasting and did not require refrigeration. This was perfect because in those days (and even today), it would have been impossible for any school to have the facilities for refrigerating that much milk. Further to its long shelf life, UHT milk was also ultra-delicious and we developed a deep liking for it to the extent of dancing around the truck that delivered it every week.

Initially, each of us used to get a packet of milk every week. However, some years after the project had started and had been running smoothly, a rumour started around the villages in Central Kenya. People were saying that since President Moi hated the Kikuyu community so much, he had come up with a permanent depopulation agenda. It was widely believed that he had instructed the Kenya Cooperative Creameries (the suppliers of the milk) to lace it with contraceptives so that ours would be the last generation of Kikuyus in existence.

What had started as a whispered rumour spread widely and many mothers then (most of them completely illiterate), forbid their children from taking the milk. My mother, who was a teacher, knew the story was false so she encouraged me to continue taking the milk. Only I and two other boys from my class were taking the milk and so we would pick a full crate every day and take six packets each since the supply was still constant.

Needless to say, we did not get sterile and all three of us later got families and children of our own. I was reminded of this story when two weeks ago I heard a rumour on social media that Brookside milk being sold in certain parts of the country was laced with contraceptives. I thought to myself; History really does repeat itself.

Tribal Stereotypes
When I was growing up in that small village in Central Kenya, I had a skewed view of the different communities in Kenya. This view had been nurtured through stories passed down through the generations. Later when I lived first in Kisumu and then Eldoret, I got to relate with people from different communities and I realised that most stereotypes are based on falsehood and insecurity. I would therefore warn you to beware what other people (particularly politicians) sell you concerning different communities.

Overstating/Understating the Economy
It is true that our economy has grown. However, it is also true that there are very many things that are going wrong with the economy, chief among them; the debilitating effects of corruption. Beware of government statistical ‘evidence’ of a booming economy. On the flipside, beware of the opposition ‘evidence’ of a failed state.

God Almighty
The church in Kenya has succeeded in forcing the Attorney General to reverse the license granted to Atheists in Kenya Society to have a widely publicised party. The church is reacting to the registration of Atheists and it is telling us that we have a serious problem in our midst. Beware of the sins being covered by the Clergy as they divert our attention to people of other religions.

The Death of Wisdom and Discernment
It is surprising that ours being the generation living during the information age, is also the most ignorant and uninformed. It is shocking that in this day and age, well-educated people can listen attentively to someone in the form of a politician or pastor who cannot possibly know anything, and follow him blindly. It makes you wonder, why go to all the trouble of education and regular instruction, only to dump it and take trash from someone who is there just to make money and fame out of you.

I know I am only a Layman but I cannot agree to be foolishly gullible. I have to take care of my family, money, and reputation. I will not buy into the lies people are being fed. I choose to be safe. I also ask you my fellow Laymen and women (particularly during this campaign period) to exercise one thing – Caveat Emptor (Latin for ‘Buyer Beware!’)

No comments:

Post a Comment