Monday 10 October 2016

Letting #GirlsTakeover

Today is the International Day of the Girl. It is ironical on my part that this week I had planned to write about men being the endangered species. I changed my mind when I looked at how much we take for granted as men while girls and women have to struggle in so many subtle ways just to survive. In my own house, I am the only man and my girls make me feel like a King. I was therefore quite happy when I saw the Plan International hashtag for the day #GirlsTakeover.

The Insecurity of Men
In my usual reckless style, I have decided to venture into precarious ground. Being a man, I feel somehow justified to talk with some authority on how men see things. It is so common for people to say that what men can do, women can do better. It has become a cliché thus causing it to lose the intended effectiveness. Seriously though, women can do everything if only given the opportunities. These opportunities are often in the hands of men and they are released sparingly to women. I think that men in positions of power are usually insecure in giving opportunities to women.

Long-Running Stereotypes
A stereotype is a convenient way of covering injustices. Women and girls have been stereotyped into being weak, emotional, and opportunistic. These stereotypes stand in the way of raising girls out of their nonstrategic positions. When it is concluded as a waste of time and money to try and uplift girls and women, any effort available is diverted to men-related activities.

Leadership Roles
I am hopeful that my daughters will be in positions of influence throughout their lives in the same way that they have been prefects in school. I would like for them and other girls to be able to influence in an informed way, who leads them in different spheres of life; be it in politics or the corporate world. I think the world would be a better place if #GirlsTakeover.

Education
I enjoy having discussions with my daughters on what they are learning in school. I have come to realise that girls have to apply their education in more practical situations than boys. Girls have to live all the lessons to do with biology, mathematics, business studies or any other subject. Education for them has to make sense in the real world. It is not just a way to get good grades or even advance their studies further.

Decision Making
We often associate decision making with senior officials in government or executive management in organisations. For girls however, decisions have to be made frequently in all areas of life and at even the lowest levels. These range from warding off unwanted advances, contraception, livelihood matters, and life-and-death abortion-related decisions. In all these situations, men are not and cannot be involved.

Thriving

The majority of women do not think of thriving in terms of figures. They do not see success as the accumulation of money or property. Rather, they think of propagating life and bringing smiles and comfort in the lives of those who are in their care. I therefore agree with Plan International that we need to let #GirlsTakeover. 

No comments:

Post a Comment