Saturday 12 August 2017

The Fallacy of Polls’ Victory (and Loss)



My Blessing from Another’s Loss
I once attended a job interview and passed. As I was settling into the new job, a colleague asked me if I knew how the vacancy had come about. I replied that I didn’t know. The colleague went ahead to explain to me how the immediate former holder of the position had come to lose the job. Apparently, the guy had just been confirmed after a successful probation period. He was understandably happy because the job was permanent and pensionable with an extremely attractive remuneration package. He had therefore invited his newfound friends and colleagues to celebrate with him on what appeared a long and promising future. He threw an extravagant party at a lovely little establishment near the office one Friday evening after work.

A few weeks after the party (which had been the talk of the office for days); he was driving the office vehicle running some errands. Another vehicle rammed into him slightly denting the car. The other driver didn’t bother to stop. My guy decided to give chase but in the process got involved in a major crash in which the car was written off. Fortunately, he was not hurt but that was the end of his job. The colleague who was giving me the story needed me to understand that passing an interview does not necessarily equate to keeping the job.

Elections are Merely Job Interviews
The just ended elections have seen a record number of unsuccessful interviewees go home with downcast faces. Voters (who are basically the members of the panel) are unhappy in the case where the candidates they favoured did not make it. As with any other job interview, an unsuccessful candidate is well advised to take stock of what he may have done wrong and find ways of improving his CV for future opportunities. Successful candidates on the other hand have to commit to do what they promised to do and utilize the skills that they had so attractively showcased during the interview. Interviewers (Voters) can get back to the normal work and leave the new employees to their work. After all, no person in an organisation is a full time interviewer. He has his main work to do.

Embarrassing Emotional Reactions
I have witnessed both purported winners and losers (but really just mere voters); doing the things they always warn their children against, in the name of celebrating their preferred candidate’s victory, or mourning his loss. When a grown man screams his voice hoarse (in full glare of television cameras), then it is possible to tell that our country is not as civilised as we would want the world to believe. It is also equally surprising to see friends insulting each other on social media with the most hurtful words possible just because they supported different politicians.

Not My Responsibility to Follow-Up Votes
I have the right and responsibility to vote which I carried out on 8th August. However, my responsibility ended there. It is not up to me to ensure that my vote is counted or collated. No politician has the right to call upon me to go and demonstrate on any issue relating to elections. Once I tick against his name on the vote paper, that’s it. I am done. I am a voter, not an agent, analyst, auditor, or activist.

Disconnect Between Bad Politicians and Poor Policy
There seems to be a severe disconnection in the view of voters between poor policies (or implementation thereof) and the politicians they put in place to develop and implement the said policies. It is for this reason that a large number of people whose corruption cases went to court and some, who were fired from public service for the same, have now been elected to relatively powerful positions.

The Best President Kenya Never Had
I admire Raila Odinga. I like his fearlessness which has often left him with no friends apart from Kenyans who believe in him. I like the way he is willing and able to expose rot and underhanded dealings in the country. I like the way he can push for his opinion so hard that the powers that be are forced to give in, if only to get him off their backs. I like the way he mobilises people and makes them understand his point of view on any matter. For a long time, I have believed that he would have made a great president. I have just voted for him the second time and although am disappointed he didn’t make it I have taken it in stride. His place in the history of Kenya is secure. He and we, his supporters, have not lost anything as history is bound to judge us.

No comments:

Post a Comment