Monday 16 February 2015

Wallowing in Darkness



It has now been confirmed by none other than Francis Wangusi, the General Secretary of The Communication Authority of Kenya that I am one among the 90% of lazy Kenyans. This is because I have not taken advantage of the many set top boxes that have been on the market for some time now to shift me to the digital TV platform. I have also not subscribed to any of the pay TV channels for my two TVs (Yes! I have 2, one in my bedroom). My fellow “lazy Kenyans” and I have just been unceremoniously thrust into darkness. I read some comments where somebody said we need not be in the dark since we still have radio. I am however sorry to report that radio news do not work for me. I am from a very visual generation and have to see in addition to being told what is happening.

Inasmuch as it is inconveniencing to have no TV to watch in my house, I have seen some advantages of being in the dark. The main one has to do with Mexican soap operas of which there are unlimited versions in all the local stations. These soaps made me stop watching prime time TV. All the members of my family virtually turn into zombies when any of their favourite soaps is on air. I cannot hold a conversation or even comment on something because nobody will hear me. Don’t get me wrong, I think the story lines and even the acting is good on these shows. I however prefer some suspense on whatever movie or series I watch. I don’t want to watch something that runs for a whole year and I can tell from day one how it’s going to end.

For many Lazy Kenyans’ families, the shutdown is a good opportunity to have quality time together. I remember village life before TV and even before electricity. We would sit around the jiko (stove) as my mother prepared supper and tell stories. We would also make shadow images on the walls against the flickering light of the kerosene lamp.

Personally, the only thing am interested in on TV is news. News however, is almost always negative. It is often said that there is no news like bad news. Inevitably then, news is always depressing, or scary, or both. Without news, I can now be perpetually happy with enough positive energy to pass round to my family and friends.

Photo courtesy  http://myinforpedia.blogspot.com

It has been observed that Kenyans are poor readers. I can attest to this even in my own family. I guess most people would opt to watch TV instead of reading a book. I was happy to hear my wife and one of my daughters talking about getting out their long abandoned books to read during the time afforded by the ‘digital’ shutdown. I think a book is about as ‘analogue’ as one can get.

We have come to think of social media as alternative media. I have observed this not to be purely the case. Most of the stories doing rounds on social media are gleaned from mainstream media. I expect that a lot more “lazy Kenyans” will have less to tweet or Facebook about since their only source of information has gone blank.

I have tried to understand the issue of the digital migration and all the licensing processes required. I have heard about the issuance of frequencies and the forfeiture of others. I have also detected some bit of the Kenyan habit of trying to stretch deadlines. But try as I might, I do not understand what the fight is all about. All I understand as a layman is that someone is currently sitting on my right to information. I don’t know whether it is the government or the concerned media houses, but am prepared to wait since as you have seen above, am having the time of my life without TV.

P.S. The Kenya Film Classification Board has banned the movie, ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ claiming it has too many and prolonged explicit sex scenes. This bunch of old timers is the only group of people legally allowed to watch X-rated movies. I would give anything to look at their faces as they watch those movies.

2 comments:

  1. I think you put it very politely by saying that these "Tella Novelas" have good story lines. I totally disagree and I say good riddance to that bad bad trash we are served on Prime Time TV. They all have the same story lines, watching one is just as bad as substituting it with the next and yet people are hooked like drug addicts.
    On the issue of depressing news, that is again key to the reasons I do not own a TV set - it is just as bad if not worse with the newspapers; depressing and horrific headlines on a daily basis. One person once asked, why can't we have a "Voice of Good News" daily, It just might make us more productive.
    Lastly, the Kenya Film Classification Board is the most antiquated, backward and stuck-up sorry bunch of individuals I might have heard of!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alvin you are right. I intend to enjoy this TVless holiday a little while longer.

    ReplyDelete